Updated: Aug. 17, 2016
Develop an App
While there are two different types of apps (backend services and elements), they both have the same initial and final development steps. Start your development process by following the initial steps below. Then follow the development process for the type of app you're creating. Finish up by following the final steps, also below.
In this topic:
Initial Development Steps
- Get familiar with Weebly and how our users develop websites with it. Go ahead and experiment with Weebly elements. As you start planning and designing, keep in mind that Weebly users expect elements and apps to behave like they were developed by Weebly. Try to keep your app as close to the Weebly paradigm as possible.
- Register your app.
- Create your initial file structure. You will create and upload a ZIP of this directory as your app.
- Create your manifest. Back end services and elements must include the initial manifest entries. There will be additional entries if you create an element.
Final Development Steps
- Bundle up your app and upload.
Create a zip file FROM the root directory and not OF the root directory. In other words, open the root directory (where the manifest.json file should be), select all files/directories, and create a zip of those. If you create a zip of the root directory, your zip file will not be able to upload to Weebly.
- Install your app and test it, including tutorials (if you created them).